Getting to Haines
The journey to Haines, Alaska, is indeed part of the adventure and a unique experience in itself.
Location: Haines is situated at the "tail" of Southeast Alaska, just 45 miles from the U.S.-Canadian border. Its position in this remote and pristine region makes it a captivating and idyllic wedding location.
Inside Passage: The route to Haines takes you through the "Inside Passage," a remarkable waterway known for its breathtaking scenery. This passage is characterized by mountains that seem to rise directly out of the ocean, creating a stunning backdrop for your journey.
Lynn Canal: Haines is located at the northern end of the Lynn Canal, which is not only the longest fjord in North America but also the deepest. As you approach Haines, you'll be surrounded by snow-capped mountains and hanging glaciers, providing a magnificent introduction to the natural beauty of the area.
Wildlife: The journey to Haines is an opportunity to spot a variety of wildlife, from bald eagles and bears to whales and orcas. Keep your camera ready, as you may witness these majestic creatures in their natural habitat during your voyage.
Adventure: The unique geography and rugged terrain of this region make the journey to Haines an adventure worth having. Whether you're traveling by sea or land, you'll be treated to breathtaking vistas and the sense of being in a remote and pristine wilderness.
Common routes to Haines:
- By air from Seattle - people commonly fly to Juneau through a major airline, and then take a smaller (regional) airline to Haines
- By boat from Juneau - Alaska Marine Highway System runs year-round, and Alaska Fjordlines operates over the summer (May-Sept)
- By boat from Bellingham, WA - about a 2 hour drive north of Seattle, Bellingham is where the Alaska Marine Highway System departs from
- By road - from Anchorage, Whitehorse (Canada), or even the contiguous United States (aka "lower 48"), you can drive to Haines
- By cruise ship - many ships stop directly in Haines, or our neighbor community of Skagway. A short 1-hour boat ride away will get you here from Skagway!
Find out more about getting to Haines through any one of the communities listed below. And, of course, if you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us! Once in Haines, there are car rentals and taxi services available, as well as bicycle rentals to get around town.
Would you like a road map of Alaska? Go to Alaska.org to order one for free!